[website redesign] PR for the one with the big red menu bar

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 09:37:20 PST 2015

On 02/02/2015 12:29 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 01/27/2015 03:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
>> PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
>> details see here.
>> Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited this
>> before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
>
> The right-side panel is WAY too prominent. It takes nearly an entire
> third of the horizontal space, leaving the main content much to squished.
>
> The upper part of the left-side panel has far too much wasted vertical
> space. The main links don't even start until almost halfway down the
> first "screen" (ie, before you start scrolling).
>
> Also, the search box suffers from invisible text syndrome. I think you
> set its background color to white while forgetting to set the foreground
> text color. CSS and UI designers tend to forget that not everyone uses a
> "dark-on-light" system color scheme. (for some of us, "dark-on-light"
> hurts our eyes)

Also, on the mobile version, I would move the "menu" hieroglyph to the
right side (and maybe actually *SAY* "menu", but that's a whole other
rant). I'd move it partly because mobile usually reserves upper-left
corner for "back" buttons, but also because the upper-left corner is by
FAR the most difficult-to-reach part of a mobile screen for right-handed
people (even with my rather large hands it's still very difficult to
reach. Steve Jobs must've been a lefty.)