Should we remove int[$] before 2.067?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 12:51:02 PST 2015

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 19:13:13 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>> sure, to fully exploit that (and other things) it's better to drop that
>> oldish "object files" concept and use something like delphi's .dcu.
>
> I am not familiar with that format, but using a high level intermediate
> representation format is the way to go for whole program optimization
> IMO...

it's practically a ".di" file, but in compact binary representation. or
even a full ".d" file for that matter. it's already parsed, checked,
analyzed, maybe even some code emited -- but no AST/type information is
lost. well, .dcus doesn't keep AST, but D ".dcm" can. ;-)

they also can be used by tools too.

> Well, one should look to other architectures, but getting high
> performance levels takes focus. I am not sure if one can get beyond C++
> by spreading out on all platforms. Intel intrinsics are in the
> thousands, and the libraries (and high level optimizer) probably should
> use those where they are a good fit...

i think that this is the area that can be left to "platform-specific"
part of the specs. maybe even omited completely, as it's highly backend/
arch dependent. if someone want to squeeze every cycle possible, he knows
that his code will be unportable mess. ;-)