Mars Drafting Library - Official community driven library

Piotrek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 14:18:58 PST 2015

On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 21:19:01 UTC, Zach the Mystic wrote:

> I think std.experimental should essentially be its own library,
> with its own slot next to phobos on the github repo. I'm open
> to changing the name or something... but if we have both
> std.experimental *and* your new mars, what do you think is the
> real difference? How can std.experimental be "sort of"
> experimental, but really not, whereas mars is "really actually"
> experimental? Where is the cutoff line? How would anyone know
> whether they reached it or not?

Hard to admit but I thought about removal of std.experimental ;),
then I tried to find a better solution (not sure I did). After
all I don't want to make more enemies than I have.

So I got an idea that std.experimental can be adopted for the
piloting new modules into Phobos when approved to be a standard.

After Wikipedia:
"A pilot project refers to an initial roll-out of a system into
production"

> My attitude is that any given module in std.experimental should
> simply indicate its current level stability at the top of its
> documentation - full disclosure about where it is from, say, 0
> to 95%, (with anything above that already assumed qualified for
> std proper).

Yes, the drafting stage can have many sub-stages, but I didn't
want to complicate the initial proposal too much and risk both
low chance of the approval and later, inability of proper
implementation. I learned that there can be taken only limited
steps at once.

> I'd even make one more point, that all current phobos modules
> known to be in need of revamping be copied wholesale in their
> current forms to std.experimental, with the top documentation
> saying, "This is the experimental version of the old std.xxx,
> which needs *your* help with its redesign and implementation.
> Feel free to break the current API by improving it. This is
> *not* currently considered a stable module."

Haha, let's not lose our nerves :) It's not that bad. Moreover. I
can barely find  the equivalent level of code awesomeness as it
is in D libraries. We just need to speed up the progress and
reduce work fragmentation.

Piotrek