Git, the D package manager

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 18:19:55 PST 2015

> - restructure the directory layout of my library (breaking
> change)

That's likely solveable. Haven't seen anyone putting sources in
the root dir for ages though, mostly because it contains readmes
and configs.

> - update all projects which use this library to use Dub instead

If we can solve the root Dir issue, then you can use both in
parallel.

> - give up quick syntax checking

What keeps you from calling DMD?

> - give up commit-granularity versioning

You should be careful with breaking changes, then the granularity
isn't needed.

> - begin maintaining JSON configuration files

It's not zero configuration, but we recently pimped the init
command to take dependencies. And there is going to be SDL as
alternative to JSON.

> - begin versioning libraries by hand

Semantic versioning is a good thing, because it allows sensible
dependency updates.
You also need library versions for your changlog and issues.

> - install Dub on all my computers, servers, and virtual machines

We'll distribute it with DMD soon.

> No thanks.
>
> I could invest time in improving Dub to fix or ameliorate some
> of the above points, but I don't see a compelling reason to. In
> fact, I think we should integrate rdmd into dmd - dmd clearly
> already knows which source files participate in compilation, as
> all rdmd does is basically take dmd's output and feed it back
> to it. This will greatly speed up compilation, too.

We could also add a lot of the rdmd workflow to dub.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/issues/103

There seems to be a general scepticism against dub and I wonder
what the reasons are.
A lack of good documentation and guides is clearly the main
hurdle for starters, but there seems to be more, so I'm glad that
you shared this.