Git, the D package manager

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 19:20:48 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 3 February 2015 at 02:39:56 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> I might revisit Dub again once some of the fixable issues
> mentioned here are fixed.

Another very important argument is consistency in using packages.
I recently tried digger which is a really great tool, but it took
me about 5 min to get it running.

- make temp folder
- copy URL from github & clone & cd digger
- search build instructions README/INSTALL/wiki/main.d
- rdmd --build-only digger => linker error
- Wondering, if I really have time for this?
- ah, need to clone all submodules
- rdmd digger --help

With dub you do this instead.

dub fetch digger
dub run digger -- --help

That works in whatever folder you are, builds a stable version of
the tool and even links against already installed and build
dependencies.