Git, the D package manager

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 3 08:42:23 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 3 February 2015 at 15:17:21 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> It's easier to get started without getting tied down by an
> existing codebase, for one. But you've got me thinking: if I do
> anything I should do it as a library first and foremost to make
> its possible future inclusion into dub a lot easier. I hadn't
> considered that.

This seems like a good tactic to obviate the need to deal with a
foreign code base, but I still think that the plan should be to
eventually try to integrate it into dub and that its design
should reflect that.

> I was also thinking of not adding complexity to dub, but I
> guess most other language-specific package managers do double
> duty as build tools as well. How well they do that moonlighting
> job is another matter.

The problem is that while packager management and build tools are
different problems, they are also very highly connected. A lot of
the information needs to be shared between them both and the
existence of one basically requires the existence of the
other(whats the point of a package manager if you cant build?).
If combining them eases the interaction between them, then I am
all for it.

> In any case, I don't want to replace dub; I want to use it for
> package dependencies for those who want to build their software
> that way. I also want to enable local filepaths and
> github/bitbucket/whatever direct links, kind of like what "go
> get" does, for use-cases like Vladimir's. Oh, and C/C++
> integration. That's the idea I had yesterday anyway.

I think C and C++ are the only ones that matter and the only ones
that people would realistically care about for a D package
manager/build tools. If there was a clean way to integrate C++
into a dub project with as little fuss as possible, then I think
it would be a huge win. And it fits nicely with the C++
compatibility focus that has been a big thing recently.