Git, the D package manager

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 3 10:04:04 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 20:05 +0000, Dragos Carp via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> Why not building on cmake? You have experience with it.

I would argue because the CMake build description language really,
really suck.

Yes, you can describe builds using it, but only once you have entered a
state of Stockholm Syndrome.

> trentforkert made very good progress with D support in cmake and
> has good chances to merge it upstream [1].

OK, positive progress is good progress. Making a bad system better is
better than leaving it bad.

> If we look at the Vision/2015H1 goals, we see a couple of points,
> where cmake already has the necessary support:
>
> - C++ integration (hybrid projects)
> - alternative compilers
> - embedded systems
>
> This features would take a lot of effort/time to be implemented
> in a pure D solution, nevertheless any of these points is a niche
> in the D community.
>
> Apart from the ugly script language, cmake would be a pretty good
> fit.

As would SCons.

(You just knew I was going to say that didn't you :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk