Git, the D package manager

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 3 18:04:25 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 02:30:23AM +0100, Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 02/03/2015 10:02 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >Rather than scan the whole source tree every time, it takes the
> >changeset as input -- either from the OS, or from some other source
> >of information.
>
> Indeed a good idea, although according to his graphs, this only starts
> to matter for +1000 files.

The size of software projects these days tend to dwarf that easily.  For
a personal website project of mine, for example, SCons is taking
noticeably long just to scan the entire directory tree for changes. (But
then again, I do have a *lot* of intermediate build targets.) If a
one-man project is already running into these performance limits, how
much faster enterprise projects?

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth