DIP56 - inlining

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 3 20:40:16 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 04:11:39 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 03:59:08 UTC, Meta wrote:
>>
>> pragma(inline, true) will not compile if you enabled warnings
>> as errors.
>
> I know, but this is the mediocrity I'm talking about:  it only
> works as one wishes/expects under certain conditions.

Allow me to elaborate as that sounds awfully whiny.

The original DIP56 was actually ok because it left open the
chance of implementing some kind of @always_inline/@never_inline
with compile-time enforcement.  It was just worded poorly, so
everyone appeared to think is was being proposed as
half-implemented.

However, now with this latest proposal, it will always be used as
an excuse for not implementing @always_inline/@never_inline with
compile-time enforcement.

So, yes, we are better off than we are now with this proposal,
but we lose the chance of being great.

Mike