Git, the D package manager

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 04:31:32 PST 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 20:18 +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Don't forget tup!!! [1]
>
> [1] http://gittup.org/tup/

You are quite right to point out I had missed that. I haven't had time
to use it properly as yet, but I am following development. I really
should Just Use It™

Whilst we are raising missing things, there are two historical things
that would be worth at least looking at because they had things to
contribute that appear to have been lost (*).

Aegis was (actually still is, but…) a distributed configuration
management system which could be used for source code version control
or dependency management. It could have taken the world by storm, but
everyone decided Subversion was The Thing™
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/

Vesta was (still is, but only sort of) a configuration management
system which managed source and compilation products on a global
scale. Compile stuff at one site and source and compilation product
becomes available globally to anyone who wants it.
http://vesta.sourceforge.net/

Whilst talking this sort of thing I should perhaps mention Fossil,
which makes Git look awkward. In a sense it is sad that the world
assumes that if it is FOSS it is on GitHub. Especially if you are
Atlassian and you bought BitBucket.

(*) At least temporarily in the way that actors, dataflow, CSP got
totally lost in 1990s and 2000s.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk