GCs are complicated beasts: .NET Core, 35000 lines

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 10:31:31 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 08:31 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 2/4/15 4:09 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > BTW The Go team have completely rewritten the Go GC 1.4 → 1.5. Of
> > course they have also completely rewritten the entire Go
> > toolchain. Compiler, linker, runtime all written in Go now, no
> > more C.
>
> How does the rewrite compare against the originals? -- Andrei

I haven't tried them as yet. I switched from compiling the Go
toolchain from Mercurial to just using released distributions (*). I
think I will have to clone the Git repository and compile from there
(**)

(*) Fedora Rawhide packages take about 2-days to be released, Debian
Sid is in freeze so they are already so far out of date with Go as to
be annoying.

(**) Yes you read that right, the Go team have switched from Mercurial
to Git. This is not because they were unhappy with Mercurial, it is
because they were unhappy with Rietveld and switched to Gerrit for
their changeset handing. The Go team do not use pull requests at all,
everything goes through a review manager, now that is Gerrit. Mayhap D
could follow the Go example?
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk