Git, the D package manager

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 11:15:15 PST 2015

On 2015-02-02 09:09, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

> Even if I had faith that dub was a perfectly polished piece of software,
> it doesn't solve any problems I have with building D programs, and in
> fact would make said task more complicated. Here's why.
>
> 1. rdmd
>
> rdmd is a simple and effective way to build D programs, and I'm sad to
> see its use declining.
>
> rdmd leverages two things: D's module system, and the compiler's import
> search path. Dub's design seems to ignore both of the above.

I think one of the biggest advantage of Dub is the registry, code.dlang.org.

Another thing is it supports a cross-platform way of configure a build.
Just take a simple thing as linking a static library will most likely
look different on different platforms. Also, you most likely need a
wrapper script that calls rdmd with all arguments. There's basically no
language that works on both Windows and Posix out of the box. The only
choice is to either go with one file for Posix (shell script) and one
for Windows (batch files). Or you could go with D, which seems a bit
overkill for just a passing a couple of flags.

--
/Jacob Carlborg