C++ to catch up?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 13:33:23 PST 2015

> Absolutely not inappropriate. I actually prefer it being a
> newsgroup user. Many people will instead reference a post on
> the forum instead of replying, and then I have to use the forum
> interface to see what they are talking about. I'd much rather
> have the full discussion in my preferred interface.

Thank you, and will be clearer in future.

> The thing is, not everyone here is on slashdot, reddit etc. I
> think you can always find a place where people are hostile to
> your language to bitch (and some users find some sort of glee
> in trolling those posts to complain about the language every
> chance they can).

Mass medium has low average quality.  But for the moment, that is
what people will find and many won't dig further.  Someone
ostensibly in a position of power to pick his platform doesn't
necessarily have real power because he may have to be sensitive
to what other people say - silly, superficial matters of
perception matter even though they ought not to.

Some day there will be a nice opportunity for someone in the
field to write an article interviewing CTOs and other uses of D
about their rationale and experiences, warts and all.  I don't
know people in tech journalism, otherwise I would try to make it
happen myself.

The best place to ask questions about d is on
> the d.learn forum. And yes, there are chronic complainers about
> the language here too. Sometimes their gripes are legitimate,
> sometimes they are not, and generally the devs are there to
> answer every one.

Complaining is good, particularly when the energy is channeled
well, as is happening with D (it seems to me).  Compare and
contrast England and Germany.  The English don't complain as
much, and so life is much more pleasant socially, but nothing
works!  If you have high standards, you will have many more
occasions to express ways in which something can be improved.  It
might take you longer to finish, but the race is not always won
by the swiftest.

> D is definitely not for mission critical applications yet,
> unless you are willing to work your whole business around it
> (e.g. Sociomantic).

I am making the bet that it is, although my application is less
brittle than many.

> I think we are in a pretty good spot right now. I'm very
> optimistic about the future of D.

I agree, and hope we are both right.