Another idiom I wish were gone from phobos/druntime

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 16:49:00 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 00:42:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 2/4/15 4:40 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 00:35:50 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>>> Contracts can be read by tools, and they are part of the
>>> function
>>> signature. Contracts should be encouraged and increased, not
>>> discouraged.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> bearophile
>>
>> Not to mention that contracts can be removed by the compiler
>> at compile
>> time.
>
> Same about asserts. -- Andrei

assert run in the callee, in contract SHOULD (but currently
don't) run in the caller.

That do not create the same optimization opportunities (unless
inlining occurs, making the caller and the caller one).