New DIP73: D Drafting Library

tcak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 21:51:17 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 04:37:21 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 23:15:25 UTC, Jonathan Marler
> wrote:
>> This looks very similar to std.experimental.  I originally
>> thought that the difference between std.experimental and this
>> library was going to be how it was used.
>>
>> std.experimental:
>>   module that may become part of the standard libary later
>>
>> your proposed library "mars"?:
>>   modules that will probably not become a part of the standard
>> library.  They are "addons" to the standard library.  i.e.
>> Maybe you would like the SDL library, but it doesn't make
>> sense to include in the standard library because it it not
>> useful to everyone.  For these kinds of libraries it would be
>> nice to have a set of community supported libraries that
>> shouldn't be in the standard library but are still useful to a
>> subset of the community.
>>
>> However, it appears that this proposal is just another version
>> of std.experimental.
>
> This is what I originally though as well. Personally I think
> what you just described would be much more useful. It really
> feels like this is just another std.experimental with only
> subtle distinctions. I don't think it adds much value.

For me, this experimental thing is a problem due to the fact that
release period of DMD is too long. Experimental means there will
be lots of changes. A programmer shouldn't be waiting to get new
versions of experimental codes.

What could be great is if DMD supported something like JAR
packages, and could look for modules inside of them. So, all
experimental codes would be packed daily in a zip file, and any
programmer, with only download of a single file and including it
on command line while compiling, would have latest code very
quickly.