Git, the D package manager

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 00:26:14 PST 2015

On 5 February 2015 at 07:20, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 06:46:12 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
>>
>> After reading this thread I think I'm the only person here who actually
>> likes makefiles.
>>
>> Nothing ever feels as complete as a good old hand written makefile.
>

> As long as you just need one compiler, one OS, one CPU architecture and no
> other resources. And are the only developer touching them.
>
> Otherwise the path to portable and maintanble Makefiles is a road full with
> many perils.

I've recently had fun with configure scripts.

Questions such as: "Why are we looking for libiberty?" (it's not used
anywhere); "Why are we doing C++ compiler tests?" (only gdc and gcc
are used to build phobos/druntime); "Why are we testing time.h and
other system headers for various platform features?" (It probably
won't do much good failing the configure step, as this information
will likely be out of step with druntime's C bindings).

Every once in a while its worth doing a sweep - you may end up 1600
lines of shell scripting better off than before. :o)