Git, the D package manager

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 07:12:51 PST 2015

Am 05.02.2015 um 15:56 schrieb ketmar:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 15:51:23 +0100, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

>>> that's why other build tools allows to manually specify dependencies
>>> and commands as a last resort. but dub can't.
>>>

>> Such as "preBuildCommands" [1]?
>>
>> [1]: http://code.dlang.org/package-format#build-settings
>
> nope. such as "'a' depends of 'b', 'b' depends of c, here are commands to
> generate 'a' and 'b', don't call that commands if it's not necessary".
> "...always before the project is built" is not what i excepting from
> decent build tool.

Okay, so '"preBuildCommands": ["cd something && make"]' (or some other
generic build tool instead of make)

The approach taken for DUB is to put as much knowledge of the target
problem into the build tool as possible, so that the amount of
work/knowledge required by the developer is minimal (as long as problem
is within the target domain). Make's approach is the opposite and
requires the developer to spell out every detail of the build process
for each project. Both approaches have their advantages and DUB provides
the command functionality specifically to enable bridging this gap.

Apart from that, directly supporting C/C++ builds is something that
should be implemented, too, but that requires a lot of additional work.