Git, the D package manager

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 07:52:53 PST 2015

Am 05.02.2015 um 16:18 schrieb ketmar:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 16:05:11 +0100, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>
>> Yes, incremental building is indeed a missing feature. It's simply a
>> matter of available developer time, as for many of the other concerns.
>> Otherwise this is something that has been acknowledged for inclusion
>> basically since the beginning of the project.
>
> alas, without this feature dub is not a build system. i understand that
> there are alot of things to do and the resources are limited. that's why
> i think that dub should be separated to two projects: package manager and
> build system.
>
> the package manager part should have good "machine" interface to allow
> it's usage in various scripts and other build systems. and build
> system... oh, well, it can simply use package manager. this way we can
> discuss "dub-pkg" and "dub-build" as separate entities, and flaws of one
> project will not automatically propagate on another project.

That's how it is meant to be! Maybe separating the build functionality
into a separate executable would indeed be a good idea to express this
more clearly (even if it wouldn't change anything practically). But the
main goals were to provide the "dub generate" and "dub describe"
functionality, so that any build system could be used.

GIT master now supports generating VisualD, CMake and Sublime Text
project files. "Make" is also a commonly requested one that would be
easy to add, but hasn't been done yet. Of course it also supports RDMD
using "dub build --rdmd".