Another idiom I wish were gone from phobos/druntime

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 11:19:42 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 17:32:23 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 11:05:42 UTC, Paulo  Pinto
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 10:09:34 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

>>> Yes, it is called cargo cult.
>>
>> I am out.
>
> To be frankly brutal, you were never in. You presented no
> argument.

I did, by stating that the way Eiffel does is how it is supposed
to be.

Also mentioned that by giving the callers control over
pre-conditions is breaking the notion of what Design by Contract
stands for. If the caller can disable pre-conditions of the
callee, then the premisses of Design by Contract just go out of
the window.

I was dry with my statement, because by calling the verification
industry as cargo cultists, I could only depreend no argument on
my side would change your opinion.

As far as I can tell, D in production doesn't even reach 1% of
production systems out there coded in Eiffel, Ada 2012, .NET Code
Contracts, Spec# and Dafny uses at MSR, Dbc at NASA, Dbc at
Lockheed Martin and so on, wherever it is used.

Yet, here goes the discussion against what production quality
systems have been delivering because they are all wrong and its
developers are plain cargo cultists.

Anyway, as a simple D dabbler I should learn to keep quiet, as I
am just adding noise to the NG.

--
Paulo