New DIP73: D Drafting Library

Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 14:03:54 PST 2015

Snipped a bit, tl;dr is you should use dub.

How could you be sure that after long lonely work the proposal is worth
> inclusion?

No need to be lonely.  You can (and should) have community projects on
dub.  The dub repository is a distribution mechanism, if you want community
contribution to a library advertise as such and git er done.  With git.
Until done.

If it's worth inclusion in phobos, it will rise to the top.

Maybe I'm wrong but there is a big controversy and fragmentation e.g. in
> database and gui domain.

Moving things towards phobos won't help with fragmentation, will just piss
those off who disagree.  Better path is to put solutions in dub for people
to use and abuse, see if one becomes dominant.  Only then look at moving to
phobos.

This may lead to competing packages. How would we decide what are the
> "proper" packages.

Proper package is what works to get a particular job done.  Doesn't matter
if it's in phobos or dub or what, as long as it does what is needed.
Competing packages will either sort themselves out (given right community
involvement) or show there are multiple useful ways of doing things.

See the java ecosystem for examples, there are plenty of things that are
third-party but considered 'standard' more than what's in the standard
library (joda time, slf4j, etc).  Personally I'd prefer a small standard
library with lots of high-quality libraries to pull in as needed - it's
suboptimal when the best solution is not what's in the standard lib.

I like the idea of having a 'recommended' section in dub, for those things
considered by the community to be good.  I don't think anything should even
think about phobos inclusion (even on-path-to-inclusion) until it has been
used and abused enough.  We have this nice package system for non-phobos
stuff, should leverage it.