New DIP73: D Drafting Library

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 14:25:26 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 22:10:35 UTC, Israel wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 05:51:18 UTC, tcak wrote:
>> On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 04:37:21 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
>> What could be great is if DMD supported something like JAR
>> packages, and could look for modules inside of them. So, all
>> experimental codes would be packed daily in a zip file, and
>> any programmer, with only download of a single file and
>> including it on command line while compiling, would have
>> latest code very quickly.
>
> This right here.
>
> I like this Draft library but it should not be included with
> the release simply because they take WAY too long. Instead it
> should be a separate package that we can update and manage
> manually if the developer so chooses to use it then they can
> download and install it. DMD should be able to find it and use
> it automatically.

There is no contradiction between distributing the latest version
of 'Mars' with DMD releases (including the library update tool)
and having more frequent releases in between, if that is thought
to be the right thing to do.

Small frictions have large effects when starting something new,
so if you want something to succeed you ought to make it as easy
as possible to get started.