misplaced @trust?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 15:46:58 PST 2015

On 2/5/15 3:22 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> To put it differently - there is no way I would have ever taken the risk
> merging a 50-line @trusted function, be it Phobos or work project.

Surely you're exaggerating. We're looking at a function that performs
system calls and reads into a memory buffer allocated appropriately (and
economically). Claiming that that function is safe then enumerating the
numerous unsafe and unprovable escape hatches it uses is someone
claiming "I'm a virgin - of course save for those six one-night stands
I've had."

It's unclear what you're advocating here. I don't think your previous
arguments stand scrutiny. One possible new argument might be an analysis
on how this:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/accb351b96bb04a6890bb7df018749337e55eccc/std/file.d#L194

is easier to reason about than this:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/file.d#L194