Google Summer of Code - Again

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 5 20:15:22 PST 2015

On Friday, 6 February 2015 at 00:23:59 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 6/02/2015 9:30 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
>> On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:32:14 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
>> wrote:
>>> It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for
>>> GSOC help.
>>>
>>> The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code
>>> is fast
>>> approaching,
>>> so once again I would like to approach the community for some
>>> assistance. My immediate needs are:
>>>
>>> 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
>>> requirement, so I really
>>> need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a
>>> little luck
>>> will require
>>> exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.
>>>

>>> 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.
>>> Should we
>>> register rather
>>> as dlang.org?
>>>
>>> 3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be
>>> improved
>>> it will
>>> need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted
>>> on the
>>> Announce list:
>>>
>>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk@forum.dlang.org
>>>
>>> This might be a good starting point for a student project, if
>>> the
>>> developer of
>>> this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been
>>> able to
>>> get a hold of
>>> him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.
>>>
>>> 4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.
>>> In
>>> particular I
>>> wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what
>>> students
>>> should
>>> know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly
>>> well filled
>>> out,
>>> others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas
>>>

>>> 5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for
>>> mentors.
>>> It can
>>> be seen here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors
>>>
>>> If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.
>>> I've dug up
>>> stuff
>>> off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it
>>> would be
>>> nice if folks
>>> could edit their own.
>>>
>>> 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.
>>> If you are
>>> working
>>> on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a
>>> student
>>> could help you (and you could help
>>> them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially
>>> if we end up
>>> dropping QML.
>>>
>>> 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to
>>> evaluate the
>>> student
>>> proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers
>>> for that
>>> duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might
>>> be biased,
>>> so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
>>
>> Just bumping my own thread here.  GSOC program proposals can be
>> submitted in less than a week (Feb 9th), and I would like to
>> submit our
>> proposal near the beginning of the time period. Thanks to
>> everyone thus
>> far who has volunteered to help.  We could still use an extra
>> topic or
>> two, and pointers
>>
>> Bio's for some mentors are still incomplete. Jacob Ovrum and
>> Russel
>> Winder have no bio, and for others I have scrapped together
>> some stuff
>> from off the internet that may be way out of date!  I would
>> encourage
>> anyone who volunteered to mentor to at least read over what I
>> wrote for
>> accuracy - and ask Jacob and Russel to fill something in - or
>> I can
>> always make something up for you :o)
>>

>> Finally, I wanted to ask what the Phobos mentors think of
>> adding std.xml
>> to the list of Phobos libraries that could use an update?
>
> I've taken a look at our review queue. We have an (old) attempt
> at replacing it[0]. It is abandoned. But it looks like a fairly
> good starting point if somebody wanted to use it as a base.
>
> [0]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~michael-rynn-500/d2-xml/d2-xml-dev/files/head:/std/xmlp/

I went and added std.xml  ... executive decision.  Hopefully if
that gets a student proposal some mentor will step in.

If anyone feels like reveiwing the proposal, it is located at:

https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015

You can see what they are looking for here:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#2._What_should_a_mentoring_organization