Git, the D package manager

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 6 02:21:38 PST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 16:52 +0100, Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> GIT master now supports generating VisualD, CMake and Sublime Text
> project files. "Make" is also a commonly requested one that would be
> easy to add, but hasn't been done yet. Of course it also supports
> RDMD using "dub build --rdmd".

What, no SCons.

Also there needs to be a collaboration between Dub developers and
Kingsley Hendrickse with his IntelliJ IDEA plugin so as to get IDEA
project generation from Dub specs.

Actually probably need to ensure CLion as well as IDEA, but this ought
to come for free.

Whatever the Eclipse, Netbeans, IDEA/PyCharm/CLion/Android-Studio
history, the current (and very sensible in my opinion) approach is for
there to be a separate project and dependency specification, that is
then used by the IDE to create a project – and for there to be
updatability. If there is also a non-IDE way of building as well even
better.

All (some better than others) support Gradle specifications.
Especially true now that the Android toolchain is Gradle/Android-
Studio. Well except for Go folk who find Gradle an abomination.

Dub, to be a player, has to prove better than Gradle for the C/C++/D
combination. In a similar position is Go, Rust/Cargo, Ceylon, so it is
not all Gradle.

I got a vibe from last Tuesday evening's first London D Users meeting
that there is an opportunity for D to compete with the
OCAML/Haskell/Python/C++ game in finance industry, well at least the
hedge fund and quant end of it.

I think having a really good dependency and build systems is way, way,
way more important than improving DMD/GDC/LDC in the next few months.
Getting a "this is the new thing about using D" out there is key.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk