@trust is an encapsulation method, not an escape

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 6 13:08:20 PST 2015

On 2/6/2015 5:13 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> So, to repeat my question: which one is it? Have you changed your mind, or are
> there exceptions to the rules in the post you quoted?

It means that you, the programmer, have to decide whether it is environmental
input validation or a logic error in your code.

Follow the rules:

1. exceptions are not for debugging the logic of your program
2. do not use exceptions to recover from logic bugs in your program

I have pontificated on this at GREAT length in multiple threads in this n.g. If
it is still a mystery to you or anyone else, I give up. Keep in mind the levels
of expertise:

newbie: follow the rules because you're told they're the right thing to do
master: follow the rules because you understand they're the right thing to do
guru: transcend the rules because you know when they don't apply