Git, the D package manager

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 8 05:59:56 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-08 at 12:00 +0100, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> It's kind of the same in the D community. Before Dub existed I
> started to work on both a package manager (Orbit) and a build tool
> (never officially announced). I used Ruby as the description format
> for package
> files a build scripts. Ruby is a language which allows you to create
> DSL's both with a declarative syntax and still support imperative
> code. Example:
>
> target :foo
>
> if System.osx
>    target :foobar
> end
>
> Of course that was completely reject since it was Ruby and not D.

Well clearly it should be rejected, you have to s/Ruby/Python/ ;-)

I worked on Rant for a while because Rake is not up to building C and
C++ systems due to lack of abstractions. As far as I can tell Rake
remain the de facto standard tool in the Ruby community and absolutely
nowhere else.

The demise of the Rant project and my shift to SCons as I needed a C++
and LaTeX build framework meant I dropped Ruby and moved to Python.
Well there are other reasons I feel Python is better than Ruby, but
whilst some are objective, many are purely subjective.

> Although, for some reason Make is acceptable in the D community.

Possibly because it pre-dates C++?

> It's basically only D or a markup language that will be accepted.

SBT has, or rather had, many things going for it, but it's problems
will either get fixed or it will face a (n admittedly slow due to the
energy of its adherents) slow decline into obscurity.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk