Git, the D package manager

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 8 11:24:03 PST 2015

On Sunday, 8 February 2015 at 17:59:56 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-02-06 12:37, Dicebot wrote:
>
>> D is only cross-platfrom scripting language we can rely on.
>> This is
>> probably biggest problem of make (apart from bunch of legacy
>> syntax
>> crap) - any real build system needs relatively complicated
>> build rules
>> for target transformation. However we can reasonably expect
>> working D
>> compiler from anyone wanting to compile D project - which is
>> both
>> perfectly cross-platform and does not request installation of
>> any
>> additional binaries.
>
> While this is true, in my opinion, the D syntax is not very
> good for a declarative DSL.
>
> Most scripting language can be bundle with the build tool, that
> is linked in the executable. Ruby is my favorite because it
> allows to create good declarative DSL's, but I know most
> developers here hate it.

I don't hate Ruby, I just would like that the community would
look at languages like Dylan and provide proper JIT and AOT
compilers.

Instead there is RubyMotion, which gets some heat of the
community AFAIK and focus only on iOS.

Since my TCL/Python days I am no longer into languages where JIT
or AOT isn't part of the reference platform.

--
Paulo