Trusted Manifesto

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 9 00:19:10 PST 2015

Andrei and I have learned a lot from the @trusted discussions. It's clear the
way we were approaching the problem was inadequate. So we came up with a
proposal based on the ideas and criticisms of the participants in the
references. It involves no language changes, but offers usage guidelines that we
believe are workable. Tell us what you think!

Trusted Manifesto
-----------------

Memory safety in D has the usual definition: a memory-safe program never reads
uninitialized memory and never reads or writes memory with a type incompatible
with the type it was written. The aim of D's
@safe, @trusted, and @system attributes is to provide as much
mechanically verified to be safe code as possible.

Functions
---------

Function signatures inform what must be true about a function. If
a function is marked as @safe, it must contain only @safe code. This
safety must be mechanically checkable.

Sometimes, an unsafe operation is needed even in a function
that is overall safe. For example,
here's a function that returns an upper case version of its
input string:

   string toUpper(string s) @safe
   {
      char[] r = new char[s.length];
      foreach (i, c; s)
	r[i] = toUpper(c);
      return cast(string)r; // <== unsafe operation
   }

The compiler rejects this function because it's declared as safe but contains an
unsafe operation.
Review of the whole function shows that the operation, in this instance, is safe.
One way to deal with that is to do what is called an "escape", meaning
telling the compiler "I know what I'm doing, so allow this operation":

   string toUpper(string s) @safe
   {
      char[] r = new char[s.length];
      foreach (i, c; s)
	r[i] = toUpper(c);

      static string trustedCast(char[] r) @trusted
      {
         return cast(string)r;
      }

      return trustedCast(r);
   }

This will pass typechecking. However, the only reason it is safe is because the