Git, the D package manager

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 9 00:26:41 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-08 at 20:54 +0100, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]

> Since Rake will give you the full power of Ruby I assume you mean some
> high level helper constructs?

The Rake community were not really interested in supporting C and C++
builds, let alone LaTeX, with abstractions over the base infrastructure,
and (I can't remember the details) there were some problems in the Rake
ADG processing that meant it was hard to create good abstractions for C
and C++. Rant was a Rake for processing these higher level abstractions.

Rake is basically 1977 Make without the knowledge of C, C++, Yacc, Lex,
etc., where Rant was more like 2007 GNU Make.

Yes Rake can be used for C and C++ builds, but you end up having to
write the abstractions, and the community (at least back then) was not
interested in supporting them in the library because it wasn't Ruby
oriented. Ho hummm…

It was a pity, I liked Rant, and wrote a whole LaTeX processing
infrastructure. Of course, fortunately, as the Rant project was grinding
to a halt I discovered SCons already had all the LaTeX stuff I had been
writing.

It would have been nice if Rake had had more take up in non-Ruby areas,
but it didn't and it is almost certainly too late now.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk