Git, the D package manager

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 9 00:43:20 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-08 at 08:57 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]

> * One more language for the maintainers to know and use.

On the other hand by replacing Make you lose two languages, so total one
less language to know.

> * One more dependency. Although scripting languages are ubiquitous
> enough, I can tell from direct experience that versioning and dependent
> packages can be quite a hassle.

This applies to the entire D infrastructure (and also the C, C++, Make,
Bash,..), versioning in all systems is currently a serious problem,
possibly insoluble, so this would not be a new thing at all.

> * Escaping into a high-level language seems as much "cheating" as
> escaping into a low-level language. If C or C++ would be needed instead
> of D for a task, it is worthwhile exploring how to make D a better
> replacement for them . This has been historically a good and important
> goal to pursue. Similarly I'd rather explore what it takes to expand D
> into high-level territory instead of escaping into a high-level language.

I definitely agree this is a good thing, but I have yet to see a good
build system with serious traction that is purely statically typed and
compiled. Maybe D could be different. Perhaps another GSoC 2015 project
in here?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk