Testing package proposed for Phobos

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 10 00:46:21 PST 2015

On Sunday, February 08, 2015 18:08:31 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 2/8/2015 5:52 PM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> > On Monday, 9 February 2015 at 01:41:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Anyone interested in taking up this flag?
> >
> > Is this idea different from the one in std.internal.test.dummyrange?
>
> I wasn't aware of the existence of that. Will check it out.

It's a nice start, but it's far too limited IMHO, since it only defines a
very restricted subset of range types (though it's certainly better than
nothing). I started implementing a more full-featured solution (one which
would allow you to define any combination of range types - bidirectional
with length, without length, infinite, etc.), but I ran into either compiler
bugs or library bugs IIRC, and it fell by the wayside.

Regardless, I think that we should create a general solution which allows
you to instantiate the full combination of range types (as well as
specifying a reasonable subsets for those who want decent coverage but don't
want to test every combination) and which can be used in anyone's code
rathear than just in Phobos.

And perhaps, a package containing a variety of unit test helpers is in
order, where a module handling ranges would be just one of the modules
therein.

- Jonathan M Davis