Proposal : aggregated dlang git repository

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 10 03:59:05 PST 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 07:02 +0000, Brian Schott via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 February 2015 at 06:22:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
> > Yet we do have matters that are important and urgent. We want to
> > improve Phobos' take on memory allocation. Yet not one soul is
> > working on RefCounted. Few know even what needs to be done of it.
>
> I think you may have just answered your own question.
>
> > Why? Why are so many of us dedicating so much energy to
> > tweaking what already works, instead of tackling real problems?
> > Problems that e.g. - pardon my being pedantic - are in the
> > vision document?
>
> I feel a bit of the myth of the interchangeable programmer
> creeping in here. Maybe the people who are working on websites
> aren't memory management experts. Are our memory management
> experts working on websites? If a web designer was tasked with
> improving RefCounted, what are the odds of their work getting
> through code review?

There is also the issue that very few, if any, people are paid to work
on D implementation. Thus with only volunteer labour (you may think of
that as labor if you really have to ;-) people will work on what they
want to work on, and systemically, are more likely to work on the
smaller things as they have clearly visible boundaries.

And then there is the trivial that also become the barrier. For
example I find it very difficult to read Phobos style code, so I
don't. Not that Phobos code style should change because I don't like
it, but it shows that trivial barriers can stop contribution.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk