Trusted Manifesto

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 10 07:04:34 PST 2015

On 2/10/15 9:06 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 13:12 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm okay with this as with most of Steve's points. But
>>> "genericness" is not a word :o). -- Andrei
>>
>> Merriam Webster says otherwise ;)
>>
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/generic
>>

> But that dictionary doesn't matter, the OED is the one true keeper of
> the English language.

Sure it matters. If it's defined in M-W it should be defined in OED.
What DOESN'T matter is the wiki-style dictionaries that have popped up
everywhere.

>  From what I can see genericity is not officially an English word

Well, there I found genericity too (and notes that is used especially
for technical references, which means it's probably more appropriate),
so apparently that is OK, I rescind my edit :P

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/272627

-Steve