Inconsistent coding style in code examples

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 10 13:36:41 PST 2015

On 2/10/15 4:20 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/10/2015 12:57 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Walter's reason for this is that 4-space indentation makes it look bad
>> on Kindle and other small-screen readers.
>
> My Kindle 3 has a 37 character screen width when using a monospace font
> (i.e. code font). Trying to read code formatted to 80 columns on it is
> just awful. While I don't expect anyone to read Phobos source code on a
> Kindle, I do expect the ereader version of the documentation to be read
> on the Kindle (or phone or whatever ereader).
>
> Vertical space is also far more important on the small screen.
>
> Having a different whitespace convention for documentation makes sense.
>
> (Such constraints also come in to play when writing books and articles.)
>
> At one point I had done this for all the examples in the D language
> spec, but I've never done it for the Phobos docs.

Kindles are supposed to be very good at resizing text for user
preference. This seems like the generated format for the kindle isn't
properly annotated.

Please, let's not cater to kindles in ddoc. The documentation is
generated first and foremost for dlang.org. If you want to write a
script to make a book out of it, fine, but screwing up the web site for
the sake of the few people that use kindles is ridiculous.

-Steve