Proposal : aggregated dlang git repository

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 11 09:08:51 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 11 February 2015 at 16:57:35 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> What would be the nomenclature? Right now we have
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language with individual
> projects.
>
> Is it possible for D-Programming-Language to be its own
> meta-repository so you clone
> git at github.com:D-Programming-Language? I guess not.

Indeed.

> Then the meta-repository would be
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang. Effectively we
> add dlang as another project parallel with dmd, druntime, etc.
> People could continue using the current workflow or hop on the
> dlang integrated tooling. Is that correct?

Yes.

> What's the criteria for including/not including stuff in
> D-Programming-Language to dlang?

Interdependent components as a minimum (dmd, phobos, druntime,
tools). But I suppose it's an open question.

> Can tools in tools/ assume the dlang layout?

Makefiles already do (e.g. the default settings reference
../phobos/...)

> Can they assume the existence of the meta-repo?

Code dealing with the meta-repo can be placed in the meta-repo
directly.

> Is the "dlang" name sufficiently descriptive?

I think so.

> Possible alternatives: "dev", "core", "essentials", "init",
> "bootstrap", "root"...

The repository's name is also the default directory name on the
user's machine when cloned, so I think its name should identify
that it is D-related.