Proposal : aggregated dlang git repository

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 11 10:17:35 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 11 February 2015 at 18:05:56 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> What does "update" mean in this context? I was expecting the
> projects to be more or less up to date. -- Andrei

$ git clone --recursive
git at github.com:D-Programming-Language/dlang

This will clone all submodules set to latest released version tag
(v2.066.1 right now)

$ cd dlang; ./dlang.d update

This will update all submodules to latest git master heads.

git submodules are designed to track exact commit hash of remote
repository - it is impossible to define those to always be cloned
as most recent version of some branch. One can keep updating
submodule references with some daemon service (Vladimir does
exactly that in https://bitbucket.org/cybershadow/d) but that
will pollute history of meta-repo with dozens of trivial commits
every day making it hard to use it for any real code (and also
relying on well-being of that daemon service).