Which is right?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 16 00:50:23 PST 2015

On 2/15/15 10:19 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 04:02:30PM -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> * We have the fastest compiler _and_ language in the world, yet it's
>> impossible to unittest one module; unittesting one requires building a
>> ton of unrelated stuff, which takes a long time.
>
> I thought people have been complaining about this since a long time ago?
> That they wanted more control over unittesting? That compiling user code
> with -unittest also activates unittest blocks in 3rd party library code?
> I guess it's about time to get our act together and fix that...

I very much agree we need to get our act together, and pronto.

Using make is really low on our list of issues. It's always easy to
blame the tools or politicize the matter ("W&A are set in their ways and
use that crappy make instead of $BUILD_TOOL").

The reality is we need to raise the quality of contributions. To do so,
we need better reviews that transform pull requests from good to great.

Andrei