Problem with coupling shared object symbol visibility with protection

Benjamin Thaut via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 16 01:40:36 PST 2015

On Monday, 16 February 2015 at 08:08:17 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> At this point I suggest simply making those private helper
> functions public and export them. It gets your project moving
> without waiting for language changes (and this is a breaking
> change).

This is in fact not a breaking change because export is broken
anyway. Due to bug 922 export can't be used in cross platform
libraries. I haven't seen a single library on dub that uses
export (most likely for exactly that reason).
Also export on windows is broken as well, see Bug 9816.

So making export an attribute would most likely not break
anything because it already is broken and wouldn't work if you
tried to use it.