One more issue

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 16 07:13:48 PST 2015

On Monday, 16 February 2015 at 14:35:51 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> That PR was merged quickly because std.algorithm is one of the
> most
> frequently touched parts of Phobos, and a major work like
> splitting it
> into submodules risked continual merge conflicts with incoming
> PRs. I
> thought it was more productive to merge first and clean up
> later (which
> I did -- but obviously not good enough), than to spend 6 months
> arguing
> over nitpicks while the PR bitrots in the queue and becomes
> unmergeable
> every 2 days. I don't have that kind of time/energy to spend,
> this
> being, after all, done on my free time rather than me getting
> paid to do
> this dirty work.

So much truth in here. I for one was amazed at how fast the
change got in and I am glad it did.

> And like I said, I did submit a number of followup PRs to clean
> up a lot
> of things that were leftover from the original PR. I regret
> that I got
> busy with Real Life and didn't have the chance to cleanup every
> last bit

Long mails are time-consuming, too. ;)

> -- I was hoping that, this being a community project, somebody
> else could have picked up the slack

Hmm, this seems to be happening just now. At least Andrei asks
for it to happen.

> without slapping me in the face for
> having not enough time to make everything perfect.

Andrei can be so encouraging. Indeed, the quality he asks for is
what makes D so damn attractive.

> In retrospect, perhaps I should never have bothered.

I am glad you did. I try to follow your commits to help me learn
D better. For some reason this seems to work for me. Without your
work I'd run out of inspiration.

So if there is any slack remaining that you cannot attend, please
tell me. With some help I might be able to something about it.