Plan for Exceptions and @nogc?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 18 12:25:04 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 18 February 2015 at 18:26:34 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 February 2015 at 14:46:30 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> From my POV best proposal from last lengthy discussion was to
>> enable reference-counted non-gc-heap Exceptions. But that
>> needs a language change because RefCounted!T is a struct and
>> thus neither can be thrown nor can be part of Throwable class
>> hierarchy.
>>

> This is not satisfactory. First there is no safe way to
> refcount right now. Second, this has all kind of implication
> for the GC to scan the heap and so on. Finally this do not
> solve the type qualifier problem.
>
> I don't think a language change to do this pay for itself. i
> understand the appeal, as this is probably simpler to implement
> than the alternative, but that is really building technical
> debt.

Right now I don't care for full memory safety or type safety of
any proposed solution. I will be glad to have any that actually
works - and I have not heard of any idea that allows to do that
without language changes. Your push for owned is also hardly
relevant because exceptions are good examples of data with shared
/ non-determenistic ownership and thus won't benefit from it.