loci, a C++/D hybrid?

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 21 03:37:56 PST 2015

On Saturday, 21 February 2015 at 08:47:43 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> I wasn't aware of the language Loci:
>
> http://loci-lang.org/
>
> It looks like a mix of C++/D and some other languages. The docs
> gives D credit several places too.
>
> I think perhaps loci is too close to C++ to gain traction, but
> who knows? It looks like a fairly clean language from the docs
> alone, but I haven't actually tried it.

The most striking difference from D and C++ seems to be that
templates generates polymorphic code that works for all types.
IIRC it is called "parametric polymorphism" whereas the C++-way
would be "ad-hoc polymorphism".
This has a runtime cost and is usually done by FP languages like
Ocaml/Haskell.