Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 21 16:43:35 PST 2015

On 22 February 2015 at 05:20, JN via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02202015a
>
> Interesting...
>
> Apple is dropping GC in favor of automatic reference counting. What are the
> benefits of ARC over GC? Is it just about predictability of resource
> freeing? Would ARC make sense in D?

D's GC is terrible, and after 6 years hanging out in this place, I
have seen precisely zero development on the GC front. Nobody can even
imagine, let alone successfully implement a GC that covers realtime
use requirements.
On the other hand, if 'scope' is implemented well, D may have some of
the best tools in town for quality ARC implementation. There is a
visible way forward for quality RC in D, and I think we could do
better than Apple.

I personally think ARC in D is the only way forwards. That is an
unpopular opinion however... although I think I'm just being realistic
;)