Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 22 03:25:03 PST 2015

On 2015-02-22 10:48, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> If the D GC really is quite so bad, why hasn't a cabal formed to create
> a new GC that is precise, fast and efficient?

It's like with everything else that hasn't been done. No one has cared
enough do to something about it.

There are some issues that makes it harder to implement a good GC in D:

* D allows to do unsafe operations like unions, casts, pointer arithmetic

* D needs to be able to interface with C

* Most good GC implementations need some kind of barrier (read or write,
don't remember which). If I recall there are several people against this
in the community

--
/Jacob Carlborg