Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 22 08:15:30 PST 2015

On 22 February 2015 at 12:13, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 2/21/2015 4:43 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> D's GC is terrible, and after 6 years hanging out in this place, I
>> have seen precisely zero development on the GC front. Nobody can even
>> imagine, let alone successfully implement a GC that covers realtime
>> use requirements.
>

> Nobody thinks GC is suitable for hard realtime.
>

>> On the other hand, if 'scope' is implemented well, D may have some of
>> the best tools in town for quality ARC implementation. There is a
>> visible way forward for quality RC in D, and I think we could do
>> better than Apple.
>

> With 'return ref', which is now implemented, you can create a memory safe
> RefCounted type. However, nobody has bothered. Are you up for it? :-)

I can't overload on 'scope'. How can I create a scope
constructor/destructor/postblit that doesn't perform the ref fiddling?

On a tangent, can I pass rvalues to ref args now? That will massively
sanitise linear algebra (matrix/vector) code big time!