Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 22 09:13:20 PST 2015

On 2/22/15 8:36 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 22 February 2015 at 13:53, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> "Manu via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message
>> news:mailman.7037.1424565826.9932.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>
>>> I personally think ARC in D is the only way forwards. That is an
>>> unpopular opinion however... although I think I'm just being realistic
>>> ;)
>>

>> A big part of why it's unpopular is that nobody, including you, wants to
>> implement it to see if it's viable.
>
> I have no idea where to start.

Simple approaches to reference counting are accessible to any software
engineer. The right starting point is "I used reference counting in this
project, and here are my findings".

A position such as the following makes the dialog very difficult:

1. One solution is deemed the only viable.

2. Details and difficulties are unknown to the proposer.

3. It must be implemented by others, not the proposer.

4. It must be part of the language; any experimentation outside the
language is considered an unnecessary waste of time.

Andrei