Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 23 12:30:49 PST 2015

On 2/22/2015 3:25 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> * Most good GC implementations need some kind of barrier (read or write, don't
> remember which). If I recall there are several people against this in the community

Count me among those.

In Java, write barriers make sense because Java uses the GC for everything.
Pretty much every indirection is a GC reference.

This is not at all true with D code. But since the compiler can't know that, it
has to insert write barriers for all those dereferences regardless. I suspect it
would be a terrible performance hit.