Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 24 02:10:29 PST 2015

On 2/24/2015 1:50 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/23/2015 11:53 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2015-02-23 21:30, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I suspect it would be a terrible performance hit.
>> It would be nice to have some numbers backing this up.
> I've seen enough benchmarks that purport to show that Java is just as fast as
> C++, as long as only primitive types are being used and not pointers.

Let me put it another way. You don't believe me about the performance hit. My
experience with people who don't believe me is they won't believe any benchmarks
I produce, either. They'll say I didn't do the benchmark right, it is not
representative, the data is cherry-picked, nobody would write code that way, etc.

I quit writing benchmarks for public consumption for that reason years ago.

It shouldn't be hard for you to put together a benchmark you can believe in.