An exegesis of Walter's reference counted slice

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 24 13:37:02 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 09:13:42PM +0000, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 at 20:46:28 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> >Yep, that's exactly why D has ruined my life, I just can't go back to
> that C++ garbage anymore.
>
> Working with C++ after using D does leave one feeling...
> disillusioned.

That's putting it rather mildly. :-P

Some time ago I revisited one of my old C++ programs, hoping to optimize
performance a bit by using a hash table to cache the results of certain
expensive computations.  I was somewhat elated that *finally* after all
these years hash tables finally made it into the C++ standard... For all
their warts, D's AA's have left me confident that this would be a small
change...  Boy was I wrong. Everything from the horrible syntax to
built-in structs *not* being supported as hash keys by default, to
needing to write my own hash function, *and* having to pass it around
all over the place, etc.., ...  after several hours of fighting with the
language for something that would be just a couple dozen lines of code
in D at the most, I threw up my hands and ditched the whole idea.

C++11 feels a lot like "too little, too late" to me. I'd rather rewrite
the whole thing in D and spare myself the pain. For all of its current
flaws, D is still way ahead of C++ in terms of usability. I've stopped
caring about C++ and have not bothered to find out what C++14 (or is it
C++15 now?) has in store -- if past experience is anything to go by, it
will just be another "too little, too late".

"How are you doing?" "Doing what?"