Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 25 18:57:58 PST 2015

On Thursday, 26 February 2015 at 00:36:26 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 2/25/2015 1:50 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmmm... not sure the math works out that way. -- Andrei
>>
>> Yeah the math are wrong, but the general idea remains.
>>
>> I don't think it make sens to completely discard the idea of
>> barriers,
>> especially when it come to write barrier on the immutable
>> heap. At least that
>> should certainly pay off.
>
> Part of the equation is D simply does not use GC anywhere near
> as pervasively as Java does, so the benefit/cost is greatly
> reduced for D.

You seems to avoid the important part of my message : write
barrier tend to be very cheap on immutable data. Because, as a
matter of fact, you don't write immutable data (in fact you do to
some extent, but the amount of write is minimal.

There is no reason not to leverage this for D, and java
comparison are irrelevant on the subject as java does not have
the concept of immutability.

The same way, we can use the fact that TL data are not supposed
to refers to each others.