Argumentation protocol [was: Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 25 23:05:21 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 18:48 -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 2/25/2015 4:50 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > […]
> >
> > Do you have data to back that up?
>
> I've written a Java compiler and and a GC for the Java VM (for Symantec, back in
> the 90's.). I'm familiar with the code generated for Java, and the code
> generated for D.

Have you studied the G1 GC? Any "data" from the 1990 regarding Java, and
indeed any other programming language with a lifespan of 20+years, is
suspect, to say the least. Also what is said above is not data, it is
opinion.

All too often in these mailing lists, performance issues are argued with
pure opinion and handwaving, not to mention mud-slinging. There should
be a rule saying that no-one, but no-one, is allowed to make any claims
about anything to do with performance without first having actually done
a proper experiment and presented actual real data with statistical
analysis.

Nigh on every GC-related comment in this thread has been a waste of time
reading. It must therefore have been a waste of time writing. Time that
could have been used doing something constructive. Perhaps the benchmark
module now has a lot of resource able to move it to being a tool for
making experiments to answer the questions with data rather than
unfounded opinion.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk